Sunday, February 1, 2009

The Eternal Barn and the Ice Canal

As you can see, I did spend time doing the barn again.  It looks like a house, except it has no glass in the windows, and two broken garage doors on the hidden side.  You can see right through this barn.


Then I moved back to the frozen canal, where the sun was also shining.

I would like to return to Christian Wiman one more time.  In the last paragraph to the article I mentioned earlier he writes: "Art--including our own, perhaps, especially our own--should help us to integrate existence rather than mark it off.  We should learn to see our lives as one time rather than a series of separate times...Our most transfiguring spiritual experiences are merely the experiences we were trying to have all our lives, which is to say that we are not so much transfigured as completed."


3 comments:

loriann signori said...

Wow Bob! I don't know where to start. These are beautiful! The colors you have chosen really work well together. I especially like the warm orange and magenta trees with the snow. An Opera of color!
It's been fun for me to get a glimpse of your canal as well... Remind me, which part of it do you paint most? (location) I will definitely have to do a field trip up your way and check it out.
What is your way of managing the cold when you are painting?

Bob Lafond said...

Loriann, I live near Washington Crossing Park, where Washington crossed the Delaware, as you might expect. It's located in Titusville, NJ. The canal I paint is on the NJ side. I prefer to paint outdoors when the weather is warmer but in the winter I use photographs that I take on a very frequent basis. I don't have your stamina for outdoor winter work.
Bob

loriann signori said...

Good news...I can't tell you used a photo for reference! Happy painting warm or cold!