Sunday, March 29, 2009

Grandma's House and a Red Barn

This pastel is a larger version of the red barn and yellow house in Williamstown, MA, that I did a few weeks back.

This pastel is the first in a series that I call memory paintings. It's based on an old photo of my grandmother's house, which has a mythic presence in my remembrance of things past. I am not completely pleased with it, but more will come, and hopefully they will improve. My sister has compiled a group of old photos showing relatives posing for posterity, which she put on a cd for me. I am as much if not more so interested in the backgrounds of the photos. Little did I imagine years ago when I first saw the photos how important the backgrounds would become. This image is mainly the house with one of my aunts with the bicycle.

2 comments:

Casey Klahn said...

I recently saw my maternal grandparents' house, and thought "its not there anymore!" Later, I mentioned this to my sister, and she said that it was there. I looked again, and it barely materialized out of this much-changed building.

Still the house, but not quite the same. Especially the shape.

Thanks for all your posts, Bob.

Bob Lafond said...

Casey, Thank you for your great comment. My house is also my maternal grandparents'. It had a large lot next to it that overlooked the entire city. Unfortunately, the fruit trees were cut down, the lot was sold, and a house built there. Things change. It's sad. But then we can re-create it in some way.

Bob