Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Barnstorming

I am barnstorming, but always at the same barns in the same town.

Recently, I mentioned the book on Gustav Klimt's landscapes.  When painting outdoors, he would often use binoculars or a telescope to view his landscape.   This gave him unusual vantage points.  It's similar to today's practice of using a digital image, which one can enlargen and trim on a computer.  

This weekend my wife showed me a cartoon by Dave Coverly, which appeared in Parade, an insert usually found in the Sunday papers.  It shows an artist working at his easel painting a still life.  He is looking at a table to his left, which holds his laptop.  The laptop has an image of a still life!  

2 comments:

loriann signori said...

another beautiful barn. I like the comic your wife shared. Long live plein air painters!

Casey Klahn said...

Cameras and irony: they go together well. Not to mention computers!