Monday, August 30, 2010

The Revelation of the Obvious


In the charcoal drawing, I familiarized myself with the view. The top image is pastel over acrylic washes.

I have been reading about Fairfield Porter, a painter I have always liked, especially his landscapes. In an interview he once used the phrase "the revelation of the obvious." He painted what was around him, where he happened to be and live. The phrase "the revelation of the obvious" suggests that because it's obvious we may miss the revelation.

4 comments:

Steve Moen said...

Fairfield Porter - one of my favorites. Simple design and always a unique point of view. Any favorite books?

Bob Lafond said...

Steve, I can see why you like Porter from your blog. Nice paintings. The book I have at the moment is the exhibition catalogue, Fairfield Porter: Realist painter in an Age of Abstraction.

Michel Le said...

Important point that because "it's obvious we may miss the revelation." I hope many people see this post and reflect on that idea. Love your work and the quotes/themes from what you are reading.

Bob Lafond said...

Michel, Thank you for your comment. It's hard sometimes going from painting to reading and back.