Thursday, July 28, 2016

Cheshire Lake and This World


A morning at Cheshire Lake again.  The sky was milky, not offering much sun, and it was hot and sticky.  After wandering around for a few minutes, I settled on a spot across the road from the lake.  Every now and then I was startled by passing vehicles.   I selected the spot in order to include the dirt portion, which I otherwise would have been standing in, and then the trees would have been too close.
The painting is a 12x16 oil on panel.

I've been reading the essays of Robert Hass.  He writes, "Art hardly ever does seem to come to us at first as something connected to our own world; it always seems, in fact, to announce the existence of another, different one, which is what it shares with gnostic insight.  That is why, I suppose, the next thing that artists have to learn is that this world is the other world."

No comments: