Sunday, April 23, 2017

How Do You Know You Are There?


Many years ago I spent a few days on Monhegan Island.  I remember walking out of the woods and encountering a painter hauling all his stuff in a cart going in where I came from.  I asked him where he was going.  He said that he didn't know, but he would know when he got there.  For some reason that episode has remained in my memory.  Maybe because I'm always encountering the difficulty of figuring out where to go to paint.

When one is looking for a place to paint in a place much larger than Monhegan Island, which is about any place, it's hard to know where to go, never mind figuring out if you have reached it.  Anyway,  last year I noticed this spot on Rockwell Road in Lanesborogh,MA.  That's the road that goes up to Mount Greylock.  I went there this morning, and painted this view at the turn just before the Welcome Center.  Unfortunately the gate leading up past the center is still closed.  But it was a great view with Pontoosuc Lake in the far distance.  The painting is a 9x12 oil on panel.

No comments: